Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America - Barbara Ehrenreich
A crystal-clear exposé of the grinding hard work, destruction of health, and constant insecurity that 60% of the US population, complacently overlooked by the other 40%, goes through every day. It's the top of society whose voices are heard, whose images are seen on TV, and who set policy and wages -- so complacency can continue.