Lot's Wife - Caryn Mirriam-Goldberg
Almost all the poems in this collection retell fairy tales, greek myths, or stories from the Bible, focusing on the inner experiences of the women in them. That's a pretty common thing to do nowadays; a writer doesn't necessarily need to be absolutely original on the subject (there's only so many ways you can take it; I've read things similar to most of these poems) but they do need to use very well-thought language to raise their poems out the realm of "another reiteration". There's almost nothing memorable in this collection, in my opinion, no lines that made me say "yes, that's the way to say it". There's little bad and little good here. The style is less simple than plain in many places, and very often prosaic. The poem "Song of Songs" expresses sentiments that have become cliches by appearing on the program of a hundred thousand "recovery and healing groups". "Like Trees Without Bark" benefits from not being a recognizable story, but rather set in modern times. The metaphors are effective in that one. The author likes comparing women to trees, always a positive thing in these verses, although sometimes not recognized as such by the characters.