This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen - Tadeusz Borowski, Barbara Vedder, Jan Kott, Michael Kandel
These stories chronicles of the way that concentration camp prisoners grasp at any wisp of power over one another, the power of possession of a slice of bread, of being placed as foreman of a work gang, and struggle to best one another (but constantly reminded that their very existence is threatened by the real people of power, the S.S.) I was scandalized at myself during the reading of "A Day at Harmenz" to find myself taking sides in this; how could I feel Schadenfreude at the "Kapo" getting beaten by the soldiers, even though he beats the other prisoners? They're all victims, the narrator is no saint, how is it possible to take sides. That sure messes with the woman in "The People Who Walked On" who wanted evil to be punished "in human, normal terms" -- the narrator expressed doubts about that possibility. That woman is about the "nicest" person in the book. The author seems to have some idea that women are often better than men.

Then there are the afterward stories, the last three in the book, the author slowly trying to come to terms with his experiences. Seems to me the book needs to be digested slowly by the reader too.